5310/5311 Program Managers Forum
Program Managers who oversee formula funding grants from the Federal Transit Administration’s Enhanced Mobility of Seniors and Individuals with Disabilities (Section 5310) and Rural Areas (Section 5311) programs are integral to the staff of state DOTs. 5310-5311 Program Managers work every day to help provide mobility solutions for seniors, people with disabilities and residents of rural communities by removing barriers to transportation services and expanding transportation mobility options. Through these grant programs, they can purchase and operate buses and vans, wheelchair lifts, ramps and securement devices, acquire transit-related information technology, launch mobility management programs and/or contract with transportation service providers. Section 5311 assists people who live in communities with populations of less than 50,000.
The MTAP Steering Committee hosts its Technical Initiatives Forum approximately once a quarter. The 5310/5311 Program Managers Forum is part of this initiative and specifically focused on these program managers to exchange information and ideas on topics affecting their day-to-day challenges with implementing the Section 5310 and 5311 programs.
On this web page, the MTAP will provide access to the information and materials used during these forums Feel free to contact Richard Price or by phone at (202) 624-5813 with any questions about the information and materials on this web page.
May 24, 2018 – Webinar
Topic: NEMT and Transit – Getting States to the Table and to a Middle Ground on Rates
- Does your state DOT work with your state Medicaid agency on transportation coordination?
- What NEMT service delivery model does your state Medicaid agency use?
- What is the level of involvement of your state’s 5311/5310 grantees in providing NEMT?
- Does your state DOT allow grantees to use NEMT contract revenue as local match for FTA grants?
- Does your state allow providers to negotiate rates for NEMT or similar transportation services?
- Does your state DOT recommend a cost model to estimate the cost of providing NEMT?
- Among the agencies (state DOTs, human services, etc.) involved in NEMT, is there coordination on rules or policies?
March 20, 2018 – Webinar
Topic: 3rd Party Contracting – Making it Work
- What is your state’s primary project type for the 5310 program?
- What is your state’s primary project type for the 5311 program?
- How many subrecipients does your state have?
- How many subrecipient third party contracts does your state review on average per year?
- How does your state DOT verify if its subrecipients have a federally compliant procurement procedures manual?
- Have you found your subrecipient’s third party contract activities substantially flawed and were denied federal funding?
- How does your state typically handle non-compliant third party contract activities with subrecipients?
- When does your state DOT review its subrecipient’s third party contract activities?
- Did your state DOT receive SMR findings related to its third party contracting oversight procedures?
- What type(s) of third party contracts do your providers most often engage in?
- Does your DOT verify the third party agency through the SAM.gov website to ensure they are not debarred or suspended?
- At what point do you verify the third party agency?
- How is the revenue from the third party contract applied to the grant?
November 2, 2017 – Webinar/conference call
Topic: Working with Regional Planning Agencies on 5310 Project Selection
- PowerPoint Presentation slides
- Push Poll Survey Results – Responses to the following questions:
- Do you use regional planning organizations (in addition to MPOs) to assist with meeting 5310 planning requirements?
- For which programs do you request your regional planning organizations and/or MPOs to engage in coordinated planning?
- Across your state’s regional planning organizations, are there differences in level of planning engagement with grant applicants?
- If yes, how does the state reconcile the different approaches taken by regional planning organizations?
- What best describes the level of engagement (from a statewide perspective) regional planning organizations have in your state DOT’s selection of 5310 project awards?
- Does your state have a formal structure for planning organization participation in prioritization of strategies for 5310 projects?
- For your large urban MPOs, to what degree does your state DOT coordinate timelines and awards?
- What is the level of expectation that applicants will have coordinated with their region’s planning organization prior to application with the state DOT?
September 28, 2017 – Webinar
Topic: Vehicle Leasing
- Does your State DOT participate in capital leasing of vehicles or related equipment such as batteries?
- Do you see capital leasing of vehicles as a viable procurement option for State DOT subrecipients?
- What is the greatest deterrence for capital leasing at your agency?
- Because the FAST Act removed the prerequisite for conducting cost-benefit analysis of leasing versus purchasing, is your agency:
- Would your State DOT like to see increased FTA technical assistance on capital leasing for vehicles and related equipment?
- Based on this webinar will your State DOT consider vehicle leasing as a procurement option?
May 2, 2017 – Webinar
Topic: How Can State 5310 Programs Work with Transportation Network Companies (TNCs), like Uber, Lyft, etc.??
February 23, 2017 – Webinar
Topic: Reimbursing Section 5311 Grantees for Operating Assistance Expenses
December 13, 2016 – Conference Call
Topic: State’s Distribution of 5310 funds – Examples from state DOTs